Reading Notes Ch.5 COMM 4333
Writing the New Release
The Basic Questions
- What is the subject of the message? What is specific focus of this release?
- Who is this message designed to reach?
- What is in it for the particular audience? What are potential benefits and rewards?
- What goal is the organization pursuing? What is the organization’s purpose?
- What do you want to achieve with the news release? Is the objective to inform, to change attitudes and behavior, or to increase attendance at a local event?
- What key messages should this news release highlight? How can they be tailored to the format of a specific publication and its readers?
Five types of new releases:
- Spot Announcements
- Reaction Releases
- Bad News
- Local News
- A news release must contain corporate letterhead, contact information, a headline, dateline, catching lead , body, and optional description of corporation.
- An email news release is single-spaced and shorter in length.
- Multimedia news releases can include social media, videos, and links.
All of my notes came from the, “Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques”, you can find this book at Amazon.