Reading Notes Ch.6 COMM 4333
Preparing Fact Sheets, Advisories, Media Kits, and Pitches
There are 3 kinds of fact sheets:
- Event information
- Corporate profile containing company information
- New product details.
Writing the “perfect” pitch:
- Find out what the reporter covers and tailor your pitch accordingly.
- Find out how the reporter prefers to be contacted – paper, fax, or email.
- Make sure you’re pitching news or a new trend.
- Offer help on stories even if your client or employer isn’t the focus.
- Don’t call during deadline unless you’ve got breaking news.
- Don’t send slips of other stories about your client.
- Don’t call to find out when or if the story has run.
- Relationships are everything. If you get the trust of the reporter, don’t abuse it.
- Don’t lie. Advise your clients or employer not to either.
All of my notes came from the, “Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques”, you can find this book at Amazon.